Moving into Adulthood – Transition

What support is there to help my teenager prepare? Schools must include preparation for adult life in the curriculum and provide independent tailored career advice to young people with disabilities & SEN from age 13 upwards. This may include Life skills etc.

Young people should be at the centre of the process.For pupils with an Education, Health & Care (EHC) plan, preparation for adulthood must start, when the plan is reviewed in year 9 (age 13/14) and continue every year after that. It should focus on what your child will need to support their move into adult life, including further education, employment, independent living, relationships and staying healthy.Tower Hamlets Local Offer has a SEND section with information on relevant services and organisations. Tower Hamlets Local Offer

What are my teenager’s options after they turn 16?

Your teenager can leave school at the end of the school year in which they turn 16 (normally the end of year 11), but this does not mean the end of education.

All young people are now expected to stay in some kind of education or training until 18.  Some will remain in education until they are 25. This can be combined with paid or voluntary work.

Your teenager could:

  • Stay on at their school or move to another school.

  • Go to a further education college (mainstream or specialist).

  • Do an apprenticeship

  • Do a programme of training and work experience.

What kind of support can my teenager get in college? Mainstream colleges must support students with SEN in a similar way to how schools do. This includes identifying the needs of students with SEN; and putting in place the help they need through SEN support.There should be a named person in charge of support for students with SEN.

Students who need more help than the college could normally provide,  may need an EHC needs assessment and an EHC plan. 

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All